Short description of the beneficiary
The Region of Ionian Islands is a public body that forms an independent decentralized Administrative Unit of the Greek Government. Its main competence is to plan, program, coordinate and implement the National Policies for the financial, social and cultural development of the region.
· The Region is also an Administrative Unit composed of departments, public authorities and offices. It has a specific administrative structure on top of which is the Governor, who is elected locally and is responsible for the implementation of the strategic policies which concern the Region.
· A staff of around 270 employees of higher education covers an extensive scope of expertise, such as geology, environmental engineering, agriculture, animal farming, fish farming, rural topography, mechanical, electrical, chemical and civil engineering, electronics, informatics, infrastructure engineering, chemical engineering, food technology, health & welfare, social service, organisation and administration of local authorities and financial planning and management.
Description of previous (and current) experiences in Cross Border Cooperation and international projects
More specifically, only the Regional Unit of Corfu has already managed 13 projects in the framework of the INTERREG programmes and has thus acquired experience in their management:
• “The Mediterranean Islands sustainability ISO: 9001 Action Plan (2006-2015)” (INTERREG IIIB ARCHIMED)
• “ITNet” (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• “SEALINK” (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• “INTRAFLOWS” (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• “POPULAR” (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "TRIAnet" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "La Bottega delle Voci- L΄OPERA dei Giovani" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "La Bottega delle Voci-Centro di Produzione TEATRALE (A.I.G.S.C)" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "TERRE PARLANTI" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "Sul Cammino di Enea" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "Intra_radar" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ITALY)
• "Medisolae 3D" (INTERREG IIIB ARCHIMED)
• "NETWORKING OF SMALL AND MEDIUM ENTERPRISES" (INTERREG IIIA GREECE ALBANIA)
Moreover, it currently implements two IPA Adriatic projects (STAR & Adri-Seaplanes), 13 Projects under the Greece-Italy CBC Programme 2007-2013, one MED project and one Greece- Albania project.
Competencies, capacity and know how of the Beneficiary in implementing project activities and results
As a public body, it has developed capabilities through successive years of experience in various fields of cross-border cooperation projects. The use of modern equipment and instrumentation devices adds to the cost efficiency and high quality of services it provides. The practical experience of the personnel and their know-how on business operations allows the Region of Ionian Islands to develop, implement, and integrate innovative Projects. It has also been certified with the ISO 9001 quality management standard as far as the fields of Project Management, Construction, Financial Management, Informatics and Spatial Planning are concerned. Technical versatility, know-how, and organizational flexibility are significant elements of the Region's successful operations. The expertise our personnel have gained through their many years of professional experience guarantees the quality of its services.